Minster Leas Beach
Blue Flag and Seaside Award 2021 winner Minster Leas beach, is on the north coast of the Isle of Sheppey.
The long sand and shingle beach is gently sloping, flattening to a wide expanse of sand, shingle and mud that is exposed when the tide retreats. The bathing water contains numerous groynes and is backed by a promenade and a wide, grassy bank, behind which lies the town of Minster.
Steps lead down the grassy bank, to the wide promenade which features various pieces of free-to-use green gym equipment, popular with all users of the area. The distinctive and pleasant views make the area popular with residents, dog walkers, day trippers and holiday makers alike.
Swale Borough Council's Seafront Manager introducing and welcoming you to Minster Leas Beach.
Getting to Minster Leas Beach...
- Planning your visit to the beach can be done via various tools and the postcode is ME12 2NL.
- The nearest railway station is Sheerness-on-Sea, about three miles away.
- There is no taxi rank on the beach so they will need to be booked.
- There are two bus stops near the beach with one 10 metres from the first emergency exit and the second halfway along the Leas, they are served by the number 367 bus.
- There is a 50 space car park (postcode ME12 2NL) at the end of the Leas road with free road parking as well. A second car park is 200 meters away (postcode ME12 2LT)
On Minster Leas Beach...
- Information boards can be found at either end of the bathing beach.
- There is a wide concrete promenade marked out for both pedestrians and cyclists running the length of the beach.
- The bathing area is located between metal railings with access steps and ramps at regular intervals.
- Signage, street lighting, bins and benches are provided to help users; dog walking stretch of 800 meters is marked, but not permitted on the beach between 1st May and 30th September.
- RNLI lifeguards are on duty from May on weekends and bank holidays and full time from the middle of July until September, 10:00am to 17:00pm.
- RNLI provide first Aid cover when on duty, outside these times Sheppey Community Hospital (ME12 3LT - 01795 879100) or Sittingbourne Memorial Hospital (ME10 4DT - 01795 418300) can help.
- Public toilets are signed posted from the beach, with disabled toilets (ME12 1NL) accessable with a RADAR key.
Attractions near Minster Leas Beach...
- The Sweet Hut sells various beverages and sweets and is in the former Lifeguard hut.
- Halfway down the beach is the Playa Public House, providing meals, light snacks and drinks.
- Near the car park is the Little Oyster Cafe selling light snacks and drinks at weekends and between 11:00am and 17:00pm during peak times.
- Outdoor Gym equipment is located along the promenade.
- Minster Windsurf Academy is situated opposite the Shingle Bank and can be contacted for further information (ME12 2TE - 07713 122068)
- Barton's Point Coastal Park is located half a mile away.
- The Abbey Hotel and Conference Centre is only 400 yards from the beach (ME12 2DA).
Guide Dogs, Hearing Dogs and Registered Assistance Dogs welcome
Restaurant / Cafe / Tea shop