Blue Flag and Seaside Award 2021 winning Sheerness Beach looks out on to the Thames Estuary
Sheerness beach is a bathing beach located centrally in the town of Sheerness on the north coast of the Isle of Sheppey. This predominantly shingle beach has a steep high sea wall with flood gates and ramps/steps at regular intervals. Steps lead down from the flat, wide seaward promenade to the pebble beach.
The seawall is bordered by a wide expanse of green open space which leads to the promenade – making it an ideal spot for a picnic.
Popular among families, it offers plenty of attractions for a great day out. The award winning water quality beach is served by good rail and road links with parking that includes blue badge spaces.
Swale Borough Council's Seafront Manager introducing and welcoming you to Sheerness Beach.
Getting to Sheerness Beach...
- Plan your journey by car or public transport using our postcode - ME12 1RE.
- Nearest railway station is Sheerness-on-Sea, approximately 260m away.
- Taxis rank outside the Sheerness-on-Sea station.
- The bus stop is located next to the station with the 360 & 362 buses connecting to local towns.
- There is no car parking on the promenade, but the main car park is located immediately behind the promenade in Beach Street, ME12 1RE.
- The promenade/sea wall runs the length of the beach with regular access points for both pedestrians and cyclists.
- There are 7 sets of steps with handrail from the promenade to the beach but no level access, Wheelchair ccess is best achieved by the two access ramps.
On Sheerness Beach...
- The beach is made up of pebbles with sand and some rock beyond the tide mark with timber groynes at regular intervals.
- RNLI Lifeguards will be on duty from May for weekends and bank holidays, and then full time from the middle of July to the beginning of September, 10am -5pm, annually.
- A First Aid facility is located in the Sheppey Leisure Complex adjacent to the beach, when the lifeguard service is not present.
- Public toilets are clearly signed from the promenade, located in Sheppey Leisure Centre.
- Hollands Amusements Refreshment Kiosk is located at the western end of Beach Street car park between May and September.
- Beach Kiosk is located at the eastern end of Beach Street car park and open between May and September.
- Dogs are not permitted on the beach between May and September.
Attractions near to Sheerness Beach...
- Hollands Amusements, accessed from Beachfields Park.
- Cain's Family Amusements - located between Sheerness promenade and Marine Parade beach, ME12 1RH
- Isle of Sheppey Sailing Club - situated about half a mile from the bathing beach, ME12 2BE
- Beachfields Park - green open space, a sandpit play area, youth zone, water play, paddling pool and picnic benches.
- Sheppey Leisure Complex - indoor sporting facilities, indoor swimming pool and soft play.
- Sheerness Town Centre - shops and services covering all needs.
- Tesco - superstore and petrol station, with free parking for store customers, ME12 1RH.
- Rose Street Cottage of Curiosities - Just off the High Street and part of the Wheels of Time heritage attraction.
- Sheerness Market - Tuesdays and Saturdays in Rose Street Car Park
- Blue Town Heritage Centre and The Criterion Cinema and Music Hall - just a walk away into Blue Town
Sheerness Blue Flag Beach 2021
Enjoy Sheerness Beach
RNLI Lifeguards Seasonally Operational On Sheerness Beach
Guide Dogs, Hearing Dogs and Registered Assistance Dogs welcome