SAFETY NOTICE: There are currently no life guards patrolling this beach - respect the water and stay safe!
Sheerness beach is a bathing beach located centrally in the town of Sheerness on the north coast of the Isle of Sheppey. This predominantly shingle beach has a steep high sea wall with flood gates and ramps/steps at regular intervals. Steps lead down from the flat, wide seaward promenade to the pebble beach. The seawall is bordered by a wide expanse of green open space which leads to the promenade – making it an ideal spot for a picnic.
Popular among families, it offers plenty of attractions for a great day out. The award winning water quality beach is served by good rail and road links with parking that includes blue badge spaces.
Getting to Sheerness Beach...
- Plan your journey by car or public transport using our postcode - ME12 1RE.
- Nearest railway station is Sheerness-on-Sea, approximately 260m away.
- Taxis rank outside the Sheerness-on-Sea station.
- The bus stop is located next to the station with the 360 & 362 buses connecting to local towns.
- There is no car parking on the promenade, but the main car park is located immediately behind the promenade in Beach Street, ME12 1RE.
- The promenade/sea wall runs the length of the beach with regular access points for both pedestrians and cyclists.
- There are 7 sets of steps with handrail from the promenade to the beach but no level access, Wheelchair ccess is best achieved by the two access ramps.
On Sheerness Beach...
- The beach is made up of pebbles with sand and some rock beyond the tide mark with timber groynes at regular intervals.
- RNLI Lifeguards will be on duty from May for weekends and bank holidays, and then full time from the middle of July to the beginning of September, 10am -5pm, annually.
- A First Aid facility is located in the Sheppey Leisure Complex adjacent to the beach, when the lifeguard service is not present.
- Public toilets are clearly signed from the promenade, located in Sheppey Leisure Centre.
- Hollands Amusements Refreshment Kiosk is located at the western end of Beach Street car park between May and September.
- Beach Kiosk is located at the eastern end of Beach Street car park and open between May and September.
- Dogs are not permitted on the beach between May and September.
Attractions near to Sheerness Beach...
- Hollands Amusements, accessed from Beachfields Park.
- Cain's Family Amusements - located between Sheerness promenade and Marine Parade beach, ME12 1RH
- Isle of Sheppey Sailing Club - situated about half a mile from the bathing beach, ME12 2BE
- Beachfields Park - green open space, a sandpit play area, youth zone, water play, paddling pool and picnic benches.
- Sheppey Leisure Complex - indoor sporting facilities, indoor swimming pool and soft play.
- Sheerness Town Centre - shops and services covering all needs.
- Tesco - superstore and petrol station, with free parking for store customers, ME12 1RH.
- Rose Street Cottage of Curiosities - Just off the High Street and part of the Wheels of Time heritage attraction.
- Sheerness Market - Tuesdays and Saturdays in Rose Street Car Park
- Blue Town Heritage Centre and The Criterion Cinema and Music Hall - just a walk away into Blue Town
Guide Dogs, Hearing Dogs and Registered Assistance Dogs welcome