Can We Get Swale Dancing?
Once again, the popularity of the TV show Strictly Come Dancing is showing how the activity can improve both the mental and physical health of participants. As with all activities that get you regularly active with other people there will also be the social aspect of joining in with local groups, clubs and organisations.
Hearing the stories from the celebrities on the show telling how getting involved with dancing has helped improved both their physical and mental health got us thinking of how we can help promoting all forms of dancing in Swale.
Getting involved with local dancing activities will not only get you active and contribute to reducing stress, increasing confidence, improve health and flexibility but it will provide you with opportunities to engage within your community.
Looking into the different styles of dance there does seem to be a large menu of types that will appeal to a wide range of interests and it would be good to get as many providers listed on the Visit Swale website as possible, the list could include -
Ballet; Ballroom Dance; Belly Dance; Bollywood Dance; Break Dance; Burlesque; Ceroc; Cheerleading; Contemporary Dance; Country Dance; Dance Fitness; Flamenco; Hip Hop; Jazzercise; Kizomba; Krumping; Latin Dance; Line Dance; Pole Dancing; Salsa; Sequence Dance; Street Dance; Swing Dance; Tango; Tap Dance or Zumba
APPEAL: If you provide opportunities for residents or visitors to get involved in any of the Dance styles we would love to hear from you and help us promote the activities of your club or organisation, just email Active Swale and we can start to build a picture of whats available in Swale.
Looking into Dance activities we have found out about a number of organisations that have been established to help with these activities and each have a role to play to provide support for both the providers and participants of the activities,
- Exercise Move Dance UK is the national governing body overseeing group exercise and want to encourage a healthier nation through exercise. The organisation looks to work with instructors, operators and organisations across the sector to provide help, support and advice so participants of all ages and abilities can take part in group exercise.
- One Dance UK acts as the sector support organisation leading the way to a stronger, more vibrant and more diverse dance sector. They aim to provide one clear voice to support, advocate, enhance and give profile to dance in the UK; offering a range of information, resources and opportunities.
- British Dance Council, formed in 1929 as the Official Board of Ballroom Dancing (OBBD) the organisation has had a number of name changes in its history before changing to the British Dance Council. Concentrating mostly on and seen as the governing body for all forms of ballroom, latin american, and disco freestyle dancing throughout England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Channel Islands. They also formulate and administer the rules for competition dancing in Great Britain granting championship status to many dance events each year.
- UKA Dance - https://ukadance.co.uk/ - are an awarding body validated by the Council for Dance Education and Training, assisting dance teachers worldwide by providing their pupils with Achievement Awards for all ages & abilities, in all styles of Dance & Drama. They provide Teaching Qualifications to help, encourage and support all dance disciplines and business development.
- Arts Council England was established in the 1940’s and they now support activities across the arts, museums and libraries and between 2018 and 2022 they will invest £1.45 billion of public money from government and an estimated £860 million from the National Lottery to help create these experiences for as many people as possible across the country
- The BBC ‘Get Inspired’ programme provides information on all types of sports and physical activities and includes a section on Dance to help build your knowledge and understanding before getting involved.
If you are aware of any other bodies or programmes that support or provide information on Dance let us know via Active Swale.
Sport England is working with activity providers to help promote activities for all ages and abilities, why not promote your activities via KCC and Sport England funded Kent Sport Team and their Activity Finder Tool.
Check out other ways to be 'Healthy and Active' in Swale.