Enjoy Swale For Free This Summer
We are so lucky to have so much choice, with the longest award winning coastline in Kent, an abundance of green open space and soul searching skies. Together with our country parks, the Swale area of north Kent (Faversham, the Isle of Sheppey, Sittingbourne and surrounding villages) provides plenty to explore at little or no cost.
Oare Gunpowder Works Country Park (Green Flag award 2019) has trails to follow, places to enjoy your picnic and free craft activities in the Visitor Centre at weekends. Look out for additional bookable events at the park which may have a small cost..
- Milton Creek Country Park will host a programme of events and activities this summer with free access there is more to enjoy than just the nature, the play area and creek side walk
Bartons Point Coastal Park provides another destination with the Boat House cafe an ideal point of refreshment.
- Take advantage of Blue Flag and Seaside Award Beaches on the Isle of Sheppey at Sheerness, Minster Leas and Leysdown on Sea. The three beaches have RNLI Lifeguards during the peak season, please look out for the flags designating the area of beach covered by the Lifeguards. Or explore Sheppey Shorelines safely.
- Go cycling or walking, follow one of the many trails, walks or routes already tried and tested including the Harty Trail
- Explore the ancient woodlands at Perry Wood, Selling and The Blean which borders Swale and Canterbury.
- Respect the wildlife, landscapes and open skies on one of the areas nature reserves like Elmley National Nature Reserve or Oare Marshes Nature Reserve.
- Our three market towns have markets which are free to browse and check out the local produce at the best prices or just go window shopping in Sittingbourne, Faversham and Sheerness.
- Swale Youth Activities provided by a range of organisations cost as little as £1 in some cases and also provide inspiration to get children and young adults active this summer.
Look out for the free events you and your family can enjoy this summer, highlights include:
- Leysdown Carnival 3 August
- Art in the Park 10 August (Milton Creek Country Park)
- Watch the spectacle of the Swale Smack & Sailing Barge Match in the Swale Estuary 10 August
- Milton Creek Family Fun Day 13 August
- Sheppey Summer Carnival followed by Fireworks Display and Fun Fair at Beachfields Park Sheerness 17 August
- Faversham Hop Festival 31 August & 1 September
Get out and about this summer in Swale, be healthy and active and you will not have to worry too much about the pounds or the pennies to have fun.