Enjoy Swale For Free This Summer
We are so lucky to have so much choice, with the longest award winning coastline in Kent, an abundance of green open space and soul searching skies. Together with our country parks, the Swale area of north Kent (Faversham, the Isle of Sheppey, Sittingbourne and surrounding villages) provides plenty to explore at little or no cost.
We know that following the new and updated guidance from the government allowing wider access to our beautiful outdoor spaces, you’ll be keen to get outside and blow away the cobwebs. Our number one priority right now is ensuring that people are able to enjoy our glorious county in a safe and responsible way; looking after ourselves, one another, and the landscape around us.
Oare Gunpowder Works Country Park (Green Flag award 2019) has trails to follow, places to enjoy your picnic..
- Milton Creek Country Park with free access there is more to enjoy than just the nature, the play area and creek side walk
Bartons Point Coastal Park provides another destination close to Minster Leas and the seafront.
- Take advantage of Blue Flag Beaches on the Isle of Sheppey at Sheerness, Minster Leas and Leysdown on Sea. The three beaches have RNLI Lifeguards during the peak season, please look out for the flags designating the area of beach covered by the Lifeguards. Or explore Sheppey Shorelines safely.
- Go cycling or walking, follow one of the many trails, walks or routes already tried and tested including the Harty Trail
- Explore the ancient woodlands at Perry Wood, Selling and The Blean which borders Swale and Canterbury.
- Respect the wildlife, landscapes and open skies on one of the areas nature reserves like Elmley National Nature Reserve or Oare Marshes Nature Reserve.
- Shop locally in our three market towns and check out the local produce at the best prices or just go window shopping in Sittingbourne, Faversham and Sheerness.
Get out and about this summer in Swale, be healthy and active and you will not have to worry too much about the pounds or the pennies to have fun. Just remember to social distance, be alert and stay safe at all times.