Experience Swale For Free This Summer - Top Suggestions To Visit
We are so lucky to have so much choice, with the longest award winning coastline in Kent, an abundance of green open space and soul searching skies. Together with our country parks, the Swale area of north Kent (Faversham, the Isle of Sheppey, Sittingbourne and surrounding villages) provides plenty to explore at little or no cost.
Take advantage of the Free Hoppa Bus Service on the Isle of Sheppey running this summer until Saturday 4th September.
As families look for safe staycation places activities it is time to take a look and access our beautiful outdoor spaces.
- Oare Gunpowder Works Country Park has trails to follow, places to enjoy your picnic and a Visitors Centre that is open at weekends and on Bank Holidays.
- Milton Creek Country Park with free access there is more to enjoy than just the nature, the play area and creek side walk.
- Bartons Point Coastal Park - take a picnic, enjoy the adventure play area and watch the swans and take a walk or cycle along the Queenborough Lines.
- Take advantage of Blue Flag Beaches on the Isle of Sheppey at Sheerness, Minster Leas and Leysdown on Sea. The three beaches have RNLI Lifeguards during the peak season, please look out for the flags designating the area of beach covered by the Lifeguards. Or explore Sheppey Shorelines safely.
- Go cycling or walking in Swale, follow one of the many trails, walks or routes already tried and tested including the Harty Trail.
- Experience the Kent Downs, explore the ancient woodlands at Perry Wood, Selling and The Blean which borders Swale and Canterbury.
- Respect the wildlife, landscapes and open skies on one of the areas nature reserves like Elmley National Nature Reserve (charges apply) or Oare Marshes Nature Reserve.
- Shop locally in our three market towns and check out the local produce at the best prices or just go window shopping in Sittingbourne, Faversham and Sheerness.
- For more local information and some video clips providing inspiration go to our 'Experience the Great Outdoors' webpage.
- Check out Swale Youth Activities this summer, some charges will apply.
Get out and about this summer in Swale, be healthy and active and you will not have to worry too much about the pounds or the pennies to have fun.