Blue Flag and Seaside Award 2021 winning Leysdown Beach looks out to the Red Sands Forts
Leysdown is a beach located at the eastern end of the Isle of Sheppey on the north Kent coast. Traditional small seaside resort with shops and amusement arcades. The beach is characterised by a steep high sea wall with flood gates and ramps/steps at intervals, with a shallow family friendly sandy beach, intermittent groynes and a few rocks. Steps and ramps lead down from the flat, wide promenade.
Beyond are wide open natural greenspaces such as the Coastal Park and nature reserves.
Swale Borough Council's Seafront Manager introducing and welcoming you to Leysdown Beach.
Getting to Leysdown Beach...
- There are mant tools to plan your journey to the beach, use postcode ME12 4QB
- The nearest railway station is Sheerness-on-Sea, just over nine miles away.
- There is no taxi rank at the beach so they will need to be booked.
- The nearest bus stop is on Leysdown Road abour 300m from the beach and served by the number 362 bus.
- There is no car park immediately by the beach, the nearest car park has 269 spaces and just 200m meters away (ME12 4QB).
On Leysdown Beach...
- An information board can be found near the lifeguard station.
- There is 50 meters of bathing beach as well as a 4 meter wide promenade with clear signage and street lighting.
- Two access points to the beach have steps and ramps with handrails.
- RNLI Lifeguards are apresent at the weekends from May and then full time from the middle of July to September between 10:00am and 17:00pm.
- When the RNLI are not present First Aid support can be accessed via Sheppey Community Hospital (ME12 3LT - 01795 879100) or Sittingbourne Memorial Hospital (ME10 4DT - 01795 418300)
- Toilets are located near the promenade and sign posted, available between Easter and September. Shower (£1) and water taps are available.
- Dogs are not allowed on the beach between May and September.
Attractions near Leysdown Beach...
- The Coffee Pot provides drinks and snacks just 90 meters from the promenade.
- About 120 meters from the promenade is Bambino Italian, providing ice cream, drinks, pizza and pasta.
- Leysdown High street is close with a selection of shops, services and food outlets.
- There are a number of Amusements Arcades near or on the promenade that also provide refreshments including -
- Playtime Amusements
- Beach Hut Funland
- Mr G's
- Jimmy G's
- Coin Castle
- JB's Amusements
- Las Vegas
- A private beach is adjacent to the bathing beach and popular with jet ski users.
- A popular Boot Fair is held every Sunday and on Bank Holidays on Leysdown Road, depending on Covid-19 restrictions.
Guide Dogs, Hearing Dogs and Registered Assistance Dogs welcome
Restaurant / Cafe / Tea shop